[Asterisk-Users] Any interest in a Canadian Asterisk mailing list?

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 17 09:42:24 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On January 17, 2005 01:47 am, John Sellens wrote:
>> Just on the off chance that Canadian Asterisk users might be
>> interested in a place to discuss topics specific to the "great white
>> north" (sources, services, telcos, etc.), I created the
>> asterisk-canada mailing list:
>
> I know as a Canadian I'm not interested in a list "Just for
> Canadians" -- It's just fragmenting the help available for very
> little benefit. I do, however, appreciate the thought.

I don't think the idea is to be "just for Canadians", but more as a
forum for topics that relate to Asterisk in the Canadian environment.

A very relevant example is the CRTCs deliberations on VoIP, which may
have huge repercussions to Canadian Asterisk users, but is hardly
relevant to the international version of the Asterisk-Users list. Bell
and TELUS bashing might also be popular topics :-)

I do agree that any subject that is not specific to the Canadian
experience should remain in the international list. We are an
international community; therein lies our power.

Anyhow, I signed up, and am planning to start a thread about the CRTC
VoIP deliberations (and the generous act performed there by Jeff
Pulver), something I wouldn't feel was appropriate on Asterisk-Users.
Time will tell how many topics there are to discuss.

The way I see it, a Canadian mailing list will be no different than our
country itself: visitors will always be welcome.

--
Jim Van Meggelen
jim at vanmeggelen.ca