[Asterisk-Users] Re: SS7 and Asterisk solution

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Jan 16 23:49:11 MST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Dorn Hetzel wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:33:54PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> >
> > You can modify and/or link to GPLed code with commercial code and get
> > away with it as long as you don't distribute the stuff. That's the
> > story with G.729, with nVidia drivers etc etc etc

The g.729 license for Asterisk is special - there is an exception in the
asterisk license I think. The nVidia driver is considered to not be a
derived work by the powers that be (Linus et al) since they specifically
allow binary modules using only the published api.

> I suppose it's even possible to distribute your commercial code in source
> form and ask your customer to acquire their own copy of * to link it with.
> (is that actually true?)

Probably not, but you have to ask a lawyer. Your code may or may not form
a derived work in the legal sense. An analogy is that you can not
distribute an alternate ending to a book by writing the last two chapters
and distributing them. That would form a derived work.

For software the lines are blurry and untested.

Peter