[Asterisk-Users] Return of experience : Asterisk more stable with 2.6 or 2.4

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Sat Jan 15 12:59:39 MST 2005

Jeremy SALMON wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Just a question,
 >
 > For you, what is the more reliable kernel for an asterisk prod
 > server...

The following 2 recent quotes from kernel developers may be worth
considering when making your decision:

  After 2.6.9-ac its clear that the long 2.6.9 process worked very
badly. While 2.6.10 is looking much better its long period meant the
allegedly "official" base kernel was a complete pile of insecure donkey
turd for months. That doesn't hurt most vendor users but it does hurt
those trying to do stuff on the base kernels very badly.

-- Alan Cox

  Not all 2.6.x kernels will be good; but if we do releases every 1 or 2
weeks, some of them *will* be good. The problem with the -rc releases is
that we try to predict in advance which releases in advance will be
stable, and we don't seem to be able to do a good job of that. If we do
a release every week, my guess is that at least 1 in 3 releases will
turn out to be stable enough for most purposes. But we won't know until
after 2 or 3 days which releases will be the good ones.

-- Ted Ts'o

Regards,

Richard