[Asterisk-Users] Re: SS7 and Asterisk solution

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sat Jan 15 05:42:22 MST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, tim panton wrote:

> Erm, at the risk of getting flamed, where does IAX come into this
> picture? If I re-implement IAX(2) in a different language (not using
> iaxcomm except as a refererence or test ) and want to sell a product
> based on it can I do that, or do I need a license ?

You are probably ok without a comercial license. It depends on how heavily
you borrow directly from the gpl:ed source. The usual (unclear to me)
rules for what constitutes a "derived work" applies.

If you start from the specification there should be no problem whatsoever.
When in doubt contact the original author and/or your legal councel.

Peter