[Asterisk-Users] Re: SS7 and Asterisk solution

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 04:26:04 MST 2005

In article <41E82B0F.9060507 at fnords.org>,
Eric Wieling aka ManxPower <eric at fnords.org> wrote:
> Matthew Boehm wrote:
> > So are you telling me that you cannot use other commercial products in
> > conjunction with asterisk?
>
> You cannot distribute a closed source add-on (except AGI) for Asterisk
> without a commercial license for Asterisk.  This is just standard GPL
> stuff, not Asterisk sprcific.

To be more specific, if it is code that links with Asterisk at the object
code level (i.e. it is compiled directly in, or lives in a .so file in
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules), then that code either has to be GPL, or else
the copy of Asterisk must be commercially licensed.

Code that is a separate executable, and only communicates with Asterisk
via a communication channel (e.g. AGI, Manager API, etc) does not have
to be GPL in order to be used with a GPL Asterisk.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield