[Asterisk-Users] voice quality with asterisk

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Fri Jan 14 23:28:21 MST 2005

voip technocrat wrote:
> hello list ,

Hello!

:-)

> my set up is like this
>
> ip device -->ser ---> asterisk(astcc) --> pstn gatewsy
> my asterisk version is 1.0.2

Latest stable package is 1.03 with 1.04 to be released very shortly :-)

> iam using the ser as registration and asterisk aa the
> prepaid one with the help of the astcc.
> now my problem is the destination people
> i.e  the pstn line s are listening low voice

You need to let us know what devices you are using.

> and also the blurr sound quality along with
> the audio of the ip device at the destination side
> of the pstn lines

As above.

> iam useing the open g729 and ulaw and alaw as codecs

No such thing as open g729.  G729 is a patented codec.  If you are using
it in a nation with a government, chances are that the patent is upheld.
(People - don't flame on this, we all know everybody's opinions on the
topics of codec patents)

> so what may be problem
>
> iam not keeping any overheards on the asterisk box
> by not ruuning other services

So there is nothing else running on the Asterisk box?

> iam giveng bandwidth of more that 512 kbs to asterisk

With Quality of service?  Are there any packet drops?

> so any body can suggest any new things to done to
> improve the sound quality

As above, let us know what devices you are using.  I would say that the
PSTN GW is the likely culprit.  Does it have any settings for
receive/transmit gain adjustment?

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell