[Asterisk-Users] Softphone for Linux recommendation

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 14 12:57:50 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 05:37 +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Can anyone _recommend_ a downloadable OSS softphone that _works_ under
> Linux and is compatible with Asterisk.
>
> So far I have tried kphone and linphone and had problems with both, and
> I am still waiting to hear back from the X-Lite beta folks.

XLite isn't exactly OSS, isn't it? :)

I tried linphone, iaxcomm, gnomemeeting, and SJPhone. Pros and cons:

(1) linphone

Audio OK, but it doesn't send media when somebody calls me. Buggy for
me.

(2) iaxcomm

Generally good, sometimes crackly audio. When people call me with
firefly and * attempts a transfer, we experience huge audio delays in
the 10 sec range. Could be firefly or iaxcomm bug. Maybe both, as they
both use the iaxclient library. But as long as * sticks to notransfer
quite usable.

(3) gnomemeeting

Fairly good, but currently supports only h323. SIP support is underway.
Since I couldn't yet find a simple way to register with * without a
gatekeeper and have people call me, I'm currently not using it.

(3) SJPhone (for linux)

Not OSS, but for me best audio and latencies. Definitive con: there
seems to be no dial pad (i.e. dtmf interaction during call not
possible).

Especially, the OSS phone situation is not really bright, at least for
me.

Regards, Bruno.