[Asterisk-Users] I Don't Want Asterisk in the Media Path

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Fri Jan 14 11:56:06 MST 2005

Dhennys Pestana wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to connect two (or more) extensions directly without
> being kept in the middle during the conversation but it won't happen.

Asterisk will always stay in the SIP signaling path.  It can get out of
the RTP path (only way to really see this is using something like
tcpdump since sip show channels shows the signaling not the RTP path).
Asterisk CANNOT get out of the RTP path if you are using the "t" or "T"
option to dial (maybe other options too) or if the codec for the two
legs of the call are different.