[Asterisk-Users] MWI on Zap analog phone not lighting

Warren Burstein warren at softov.co.il
Thu Jan 13 14:22:49 MST 2005

We are using Bellsouth 8867 phones on our TDM400B FXS lines
(asterisk-1.0.3). It has a "Voicemail" light, which appears to be MWI
(according to the manual it works with voicemail from the telco that
sends a FSK signal). The dialtone stutters when a line has voicemail, so
I know that I have the mailbox setting right in zapata.conf, but the
light doesn't go on. I am also getting caller-id on the phone's display,
so I guess that shows FSK works from the card to the phone.

I did some searching before posting, found
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20config%20zapata.conf
which says "On supported hardware, the message waiting light
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-PBX+Message+Waiting+Indicator> will also
be activated — this probably requires that you also set adsi=yes.
Update: This option does NOT require ADSI. It will send a standard FSK
tone down the line that lights up the MWI on any capable analog phone."
That looks like it should be working. I didn't find anything on this
list that I recognized as the answer to this problem.

I am not sure if the phone needs batteries to do CID and MWI or not, but
just to be safe I put in batteries.

believed to be clean.