[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on a notebook?

Dorn Hetzel asterisk-users at dorn.hetzel.org
Thu Jan 13 11:39:25 MST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:09:28AM -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> I'd dearly love to be able to give an Asterisk demo by just toting my
> notebook, a PC/PCMCIA card, and a couple SIP phones.  Is there any way
> to do this?  Or should I look for a small-profile box with PCI slots,
> instead?

I've done this.  Not as a demo, but as a production box.  If the laptop
has built-in ethernet, you don't even need a PCMCIA card.  Just use
small boxes like Sipura SPA-3000 or 2000 for your FXO and FXS interfaces
and bring a small ethernet switch and it's all good.  I use one in
production for my "home" PBX because of the handy built-in UPS :)

Of course, you will want to be running Linux on the laptop, but then
what else would you want to be running anyway? :)

-Dorn