[Asterisk-Users] SER vs Asterisk for SIP

Ashling O'Driscoll ashling.odriscoll at cit.ie
Thu Jan 13 09:57:15 MST 2005

>From my (fairly limited) understanding, I think the fundamental
difference is that Asterisk is a pbx (offering all the features
associated with a pbx, voicemail, call transfer, call detail
recording etc) whereas SER is just a sip proxy (albeit a good one).

Therefore Asterisk deals in terms of phones extensions whereas if you
want a system that can contact clients with sip urls, ser will have
to be set up. Also the audio i.e. rtp stream, traverses asterisk i.e.
it acts as a middle man holding onto the call, and if you want the
audio to go peer to peer (which it ideally should with sip), ser is
also needed.

Aisling.