[Asterisk-Users] Looking for a wireless phone... wifi or traditional wireless ?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed Jan 12 23:28:05 MST 2005

I saw that news but couldn't seem to find any price/availability info yet.

I wonder how well they will work if everyone in the home or office has
one. I always liked the old-fashioned approach where switches were used
to explicitly select a channel. My guess would be that multiple wifi sip
phones will coexist better.

I have heard credible reports from my own customers of cordless phones
and wireless lan clashes. It was credible because I was on the phone
talking with them. When they switched to their cordless phone the laptop
PC would lose it's network connection. I also had them call me using the
cordless phone while the nearby laptop was turned off. When they booted
it up and opened a web browser I could hear the interference at my end
and sometimes we lost all sound. When the customer switched back to his
old 900 mhz cordless phone we didn't have the problem anymore.

For those reasons I am desperately hoping that wifi sip phone prices
will rapidly fall.

Paul