[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 dropped calls: need debug suggestions

hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:29:27 MST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to determine why IAX2 calls are getting dropped after a 4-24 hours of continuous connect time. My project requires that calls stay up for days at a time. When I turn on IAX2 debugging, I see "max retries exceeded" for control frames just before the connection is dropped.

My test setup is:

Zap Phone => Local Asterisk Server/IAX2/GSM => NAT => Internet => NAT(port mapped) => Remote Asterisk server/IAX2/GSM => Echo App

I also tried it without NAT on another pair of systems and it made no difference:

Zap Phone => Local Asterisk Server/IAX2/GSM => Internet =>  => Remote Asterisk server/IAX2/GSM => Echo App

Note: An SSH connection stays up indefinitely to the from the calling server to the called server.

I wrote a small UDP echo client and server, and installed it on both ends, and noticed that a few packets are dropped every hour, but the connection seems solid with this simple client and server combo.

How resilient is the IAX2 protocol to receiving out-of-order packets, and how well does it deal with short term packet loss?

Has anyone else experienced problems with long duration calls over IAX2?

Thanks

Steve.