[Asterisk-Users] SS7 and Asterisk solution

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Jan 12 14:49:46 MST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Matthew Boehm wrote:

> ahh..american arrogance. I assumed you were in the US.
> We pay $2000 a month for DS3/SS7 to national carrier. We will soon be
> dropping the SS7 and turning that voice DS3 into a bandwidth DS3. We will
> still use the carrier but all calls will terminate to them VoIP. It will
> save us over $2000 a month.

Interesting. For us in Sweden it is actually cheaper to connect to our
carrier through PRIs than through VoIP. We have two fibre pairs instead of
one, and it is still cheaper. Well, they had six pairs since that is the
minimum cables they install.

Add to that the lower latency etc of a tdm solution. I guess it is a scale
thing - when lots (most?) companies are connected via isdn technology the
cost goes down.

Peter