[Asterisk-Users] SIP, * and clients behind NAT

Jeff R Glassman jrglass at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jan 11 12:35:33 MST 2005

What ports need to be Fowarded?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Wilson
Pickett
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 2:12 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] SIP, * and clients behind NAT

> Even if I do get the ATA working fine behind my home NAT, I would have
> to do some reconfiguration most likely anywhere else I try plugging it
> in, right?  And, if I wanted to add another ATA at home connected to the
> same remote * server, it's most like not going to work without custom
> RTP port forwards, etc., right?

Yes, this is the nasty secret of SIP. Well not that secret since
hundreds of pages have been written about it and several people come
to #asterisk daily with this exact complaint.

One direction is IAX2 and hopefully there will be the Farfon adapter
in the not too distant future for that as well as the first IAX2
phones about to ship RealSoonNow.

For only home use, you should be able to get it working with port
forwarding.
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: