[Asterisk-Users] RealTime Configuration Doubts

Oswaldo Arratia oarratia at workersequity.net
Tue Jan 11 10:05:07 MST 2005

 Hi there,
I've been running * for some time now and thanks God no problem so far,
everything is configured using text files, and I'd like to move everything
to realtime database configuration to ease management using a GUI
application.

I've read about Realtime function of * and I see something that confuses me
and it's the following (text taken from WIKI): "The database peers/users are
not kept in memory. These are only loaded when we have a call and then
deleted, so there's no support for NAT keep-alives (qualify=) or voicemail
indications for these peers."

Does this mean that current users that get a different dialtone when they
pick up their extension and  have a new voicemail won't get that indication
anymore??   Another doubt, my * server has a public IP and most of the
extensions are behing different NATs, so I use the nat=yes option in
sip.conf for each context...if I move my setup to realtime database, can I
still do the nat support? I am not sure what that NAT keep-alive does and
exactly what WIKI means by "no support for NAT keep-alives.

I'd like to know if any person out there is using this type of setup and how
good it works. I have not been able to find any comments to this matter in
my searches.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who shares their experience and clarify
these doubts.

Oz