[Asterisk-Users] RE: Asterisk and InterTel Axxess system?

Jason Kawakami jkkawakami at optellabs.com
Tue Jan 11 08:30:31 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
My office recently purchased an InterTel Axxess system with the IPRC
card for VoIP.  To our suprise, this card allows the InterTel endpoints
and MGCP endpoints to work, but not SIP clients.  I was really
expecting to get a SIP softphone working with this setup, but that
appears to require our vendor to sell us a SIP gateway and licenses at
a not yet determined price.

-the sip server comes bundled with an application called Unified
Communicator which is pretty cool but also pretty costly.  Besides that, the
licensing for the SIP endpoints is not so cool.

With this background, I have a few questions:

Is * a proper tool to provide a SIP<->MGCP gateway?  Am I even asking
for something that makes sense?
If so, where's the best "from the ground up, assume I don't know the
lingo" guidance on how to get where I want to go?  Like many open
source projects, the documentation I've seen so far seems to assume the
reader is not a newbie in this field.  I'm hoping there's introductory
documentation someone can point me towards.  Asterisk 101, if you will.

-You are asking the wrong question here.  Don't think of designing your *
solution around the limitations of the Inter-Tel.  Besides, if you currently
have * up and running (in any capacity) you can make * do what you want it
to.  Your problem in the end will be making the Axxess work with *.

I don't know what version of Axxess you are running but the very recently
released version 9.0 supports SIP trunking (I think) via the IPRC card).  It
will require a couple of licenses but I think it is a better idea then doing
MGCP<->SIP stuff.  I haven't played with MGCP in * but the Inter-Tel uses an
OEM'd AudioCodes box as an FXO gateway and I have had nothing but problems
with them.  Can't tell if it is gateway related or Axxess related but I
ended up putting a PRI into the Axxess and connecting to * via that PRI,
then doing all of my IP stuff (via SIP) in *.

I have access to an axxess for testing so I will play with it a bit and see
if I can figure out a better way.

Jason Kawakami
www.optellabs.com
Salt Lake City, UT