[Asterisk-Users] Multiple gateways for same dial pattern

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jan 10 17:03:03 MST 2005

> > I can do the dial command like this to give me a 20 second timeout
> >
> >     exten => _9737XXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1}@172.17.99.5,20)
> >
> > But this also means that after 20 seconds of ringing it goes on the next
> > dialpeer. I would like to be able to set the timeout Asterisk wait to
> > establish a connection, any connection, with the gateway to something much
> > shorter than it is now.
> >
> > Similar to what you stated, I use VoipJet/NuFone at home. The other day
> > VoipJet had problems and my calls didn't go through. I took the
> > opportunity to try configure some sort of failover configuration to
> > NuFone. Couldn't make it work in an acceptable manner and had to manually
> > change the dialplan.
>
> You want to check the value of ${DIALSTATUS} in your priority 2.  See
> asterisk/doc/README.variables and "show application gotoif"

The Dialstatus approach will only work if asterisk is fully aware of
the status. In the case where the poster is sending a call to VoipJet,
asterisk may believe all is well, but in fact the problem is behind
VoipJet somewhere. (Eg, the VoipJet equipment might know the exact
status, but its under no obligation to report that back to asterisk.
All depends upon exactly what failed at VoipJet.)