[Asterisk-Users] newbie question

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Mon Jan 10 09:49:23 MST 2005

Hi Mike -

> its my first time to post here, im in the process of building asterisk
> based telephone system (just small). i already installed asterisk
> server, i just wanted to test 2 sip softphones to get working before i
> move on, is it possible to have 2 softphones talk to  each other
> without
> any cards?? (i.e. digium, just for testing purposes)
> im using kphone, and i follow the instruction on how to configure it
> for
> asterisk, but there is a problem when i register the kphone, is there
> any configuration must follow before i make a calls using asterisk??
> pls
> help.

Yes, asterisk can route calls without Digium hardware.  Many people
using asterisk do this (connect via TCP/IP to VoIP providers for
outside lines).  If you do this, you will need to set up ztdummy for
proper timing. See this on the wiki:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-print.php?page=Asterisk+timer+ztdummy

A good source for a setup very similar to what you describe is an old
article from O'Reilly.  It tells you exactly what to do to set up
asterisk with just two sip soft phones:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

Thanks,
Noah