[Asterisk-Users] Little confused about Caller ID

Tom Chandler tchandle at bayou.com
Sun Jan 9 16:44:57 MST 2005

Caller Name is stored in a SCP.  It is a TCAP transaction.  The receiving
switch via SS7 recieves
the calling party number in the ISUP message of the SS7 datastream.  It is
normally in the IAM mesasge.  Then a TCAP CNAME query is launched from the
called switch thru
the STP's to a SCP which has the calling name database.  The TCAP query
returns back to the launching
switch the caller name.  LIDB is for operator services etc. CNAME is a TCAP
database lookup, much
like 800 number translations.

Tom C.