[Asterisk-Users] Little confused about Caller ID

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 16:23:46 MST 2005

If you are using a VOIP provider and they are using just PRI (and not
SS7, or they didn't configure their SS7), and change the callerID to
the number you supply, then the name should show up, to whatever it is
listed with the local phone company, i.e. if your phone number is
5551234 and verizon is the one that provides you with phone service on
5551234, and your name is John Doe, when you do SetCallerID(5551234)
and you call out using x as your VOIP to another phone, the name
should show up as: John Doe and the number as: 5551234.
It is the responsiblity of the provider that provides the phone number
to have a name attached to the phone number on the SS7 network,
otherwise the name will never show up. Whatever that name is, that is
what will come up when you use x VOIP to dial out using that number.