[Asterisk-Users] SIP and NAT problems "imagine that :) "

Ken Knight asterisk at masondesk.com
Sat Jan 8 09:29:18 MST 2005

Hi all,

Seriously, I've tried to read everything I could find (& search for) on
voip-info.org and other sites about this problem, but have been unsuccesful.

Equipment:
xten lite
X100P
Whitebox linux running Asterisk / AMP
D-Link DI-804HV (VPN router)

I have installed another DI-804HV at a second location and created a tunnel.
For the computers behind that unit, everything works fine throught x-lite.
However, for any people (ie Family members) that I'm trying to connect to my
system that aren't going through a tunnel, it isn't working.

Symptoms:

They show up in "Sip Show Peers" however the NAT column is stating "N"
I can call them and they can hear me fine, but I can't here them.

I'm thinking this has to do with RTP, but not sure.

In the router I have the following setup under "Virtual Server":
SIP TCP/UDP 5060
IAX TCP/UDP 4569
KS1 UDP 5004
RTP1 UDP 5000
SIP3 UDP 5036
SIP4 UDP 2727

In the firewall section I've said to allow UDP on 9999-20001 to go to the
asterisk server
It looks like this in the firewall rules;
Source *,* Dest *,192.168.x.x UDP,9999-20001

Also on those extensions that are coming from an external source I've added
the externip attribute in the form of

externip="my_dynamic_domain_name_attached_to_my_ip"

here's one of the extensions:

[254]
username=254
type=friend
secret=*******
port=5060
nat=yes
mailbox=254
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-sip-external
canreinvite=no
callerid="Scott Knight" <254>
externip=my.dyndns.org

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
ken