[Asterisk-Users] France has their (first?) SIP carrier with "unlimited" calls for 6eu/mo

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 04:30:30 MST 2005

Asterisk must have a reasonably large community here in France judging
from the number of people who came out to meet Mark. Either that or we
were ALL there :)

Something I've been waiting for, a voIP carrier on the models we are
used to (low monthly or pay as you go, web account) has just set up
their first beta test for 1 euro for the first month, 6euros if you
decide to keep it. The basic service comes with a "local" number,
i.e., similar to what you would get from France Télécom 01, 02...
Calls are cut after two hours, but you can then call back if you need
to talk more than two hours. International rates look decent, though
not cheaper than our favorites.

The service is using a GPL SIP client, which after a few sniffs from
various Usenet denizons gave us what was needed to make the service
work with X-Lite. However, attempts to port the account over to
asterisk (which have always worked with all other providers) do not
work. I have complete session sniffs if someone is interested.

I have already began bugging them about making use with * possible.
While this is a small startup type company, they are owned by a major
telcom here, 9tel. This is the time to get a foot in the door I think.

The Windows SIP client is freely downloadable (but hard wired to work
with their service (or ip 2 ip) and they say there will be other OS
clients RealSoonNow. Since it works with X-Lite, it may well work with
linux SIP clients.

For more info: http://wengo.fr/index.php

If you are in France and learn more, please let me know. If you are
interested in sharing info, feel free to contact me off list.