[Asterisk-Users] PolyCom IP3000, gnugk and * audio problems

Gareth Bowker gareth at diogel.com
Fri Jan 7 07:29:06 MST 2005

Current setup:

Polycom IP3000 <-> gnugk <-> asterisk <-> Cisco 7940

Asterisk and gnugk are on 10.20.98.6
IP3000 is H.323, using G.711 (10.20.98.2)
7940 is SIP, using g711ulaw  (10.20.98.3)

I've been asterisk for a while now, only using SIP devices. I'm happy
with that side of things, but I've not used H.323 before this week, in
trying to get the IP3000 to work.

* is using the chan_h323 driver and I've got call routing working in
both directions, so both phones can call each other. However I'm getting
no voice data between them, just silence.

I'm using the asterisk packages from Debian testing (1.0.2). gnugk is
also from Debian testing, default config (2.2.0)

Doing tcpdump on the asterisk server shows the 7940 sending a lot of UDP
data to the server, but no other data.

h323.conf:

[general]
port = 1720
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
gatekeeper=10.20.98.1
alias=asterisk
context=staff

[asterisk]
type=h323
prefix=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
context=staff

[777]
type=user
host=10.20.98.2
context=staff

I don't really know enough about how h.323 works to go much further.
I've enabled "h.323 trace 9" and "h.323 debug" from the asterisk console
but I get no output.

gnugk -ttt gives me a lot of output while the call is being set up
(until I hit "Answer") but then shows nothing until hangup. I don't see
any mention of codecs in the output (don't know if I should).

Can someone please give me a pointer on where to look next, as I've
exhausted all my ideas.

One thing I've considered doing is installing the chan_oh323 driver, but
I'd prefer to exhaust my options with chan_h323 first :)

Thanks,

Gareth