[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk CPU priorities (nice?)

Thu Jan 6 17:24:49 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 20:53 +0100, Arve Rasmussen wrote:
> Should a "watchdog" be an internal part of the Asterisk core?
>
> The problem is generic. I.e. any real time process may swamp a machine,
> and therefor it is not Asterisk specific.

IMHO, yes, asterisk should stop itself. Linux, like most *nix OS's is
happy to allow you to shoot yourself in the foot, and even comes with
many tools to assist you in this. It is up to you to learn how to
properly aim the gun at something other than your foot if you don't want
to shoot yourself in the foot.

real time is important, and shouldn't be disabled for just any reason,
and it should be within asterisk's power to decide when realtime
priority is enabled/disabled.

The only time I have actually seen a problem, is when I have a loop in
my dialplan, and it becomes very slow to do anything. It would be nice
if asterisk could detect a loop (some sort of counter on how many times
we have been at this extension) and limit it to something reasonable
(say 100), after which jumping to the i exten, or hanging up the channel
with appropriate error messages.

If you really want to get complicated, perhaps a method for setting the
MAXLOOPCOUNT from the dialplan using a channel variable. Maybe even
could be set as a global variable, then override it to something higher
when needed.

Regards,
Adam

Adam Goryachev