[Asterisk-Users] kind of urgent

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Jan 6 13:27:17 MST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:03:32PM -0700, Michael Welter said:
> Walt Reed wrote:
> >
> >Another option is installing a good SATA controller like the 3ware.
> >Drives show up as SCSI, and even fairly old distro's work out of the box
> >with them. Most onboard controllers are pretty crappy - avoid Promise
> >and their fake RAID.
>
> Don't the SATA drives also show-up as SCSI devices?  I don't recall
> having any problems with SATA drives.

It's not the drives, it's the controller and the drivers that are the
big issue. When the linux drivers talk to a normal SATA controller, they
don't see SCSI drives out there, but they present them as SCSI to the
next layer in the OS.

3ware controllers have a unified driver model. Raidsets show up as scsi
drives to the linux driver, no matter which card and drive technology
you use (IDE, or SATA.)

Promise controllers on the other hand seem to need totally new drivers
with each sub revision. Bah!

Most SATA controllers need libata (in 2.4) to work. 3ware controllers do
not.

Hope this helps someone...