[Asterisk-Users] Re: kind of Urgent (Fedora Core 3 & Asterisk)

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Thu Jan 6 13:26:36 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 12:00 -0600, asterisk-users-
request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
> > Shoval Tomer wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone comment why shouldn't we use FC 3 for an * production
> system?
> >

> > when I tried the X100P drivers on FC3 I had problems with udev, the
> > workaround didn't work for me, maybe things have improved since ...
> >

> In the zaptel directory, find the file README.udev.  Find the "#
> Section
> for zaptel device" and take those five lines ("KERNEL=...) and stick
> them in the file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules and then reboot.
>
> Mike

I've just upgraded from RH9 to FC3. The first big diff is the above
mentioned udev, where you have to add the before mentioned items to the
50-udev.rules file.

The next is to add entries to the 50* file in permissions.d, which I
sent in as a bug, and I think has been applied to
CVS head already(some words in the README about what to do).
If you don't do this, the /dev/zap/ctl device is unreachable.
My experience, is that I load my fxo card driver first, because they are
the first channels in my configuration. They will install, but it looks
like ztcfg is autorun afterwards, and I get a complaint about the
/dev/zap/ctl device not being accessible. I ignore this message, and
continue to load the fxs driver, and this time no errors are reported.
so:   modprobe wcfxo
      modprobe wcfxs lowpower=1 ### necc. for my particular setup
      ztcfg -v -v

Next, is the SELinux enhancements made to FC3. Whenever a library is
installed into /usr/lib (see zaptel, zapata, libpri), it gets the
security context of the directory it's placed in by default. So, the
libs get the wrong context, and they become inaccessible to stuff like
ldconfig, ld, etc. So, you do a restorecon -v on those files. I turned
in a patch and bug report, and I think these have already been applied
to CVS head.

Next, and this one threw me hard, is that under RH9, asterisk
used /dev/dsp (the speakers) non-exclusively, but under FC3, it gets an
exclusive lock on /dev/dsp. So, nothing else can use the sound system. I
don't know why. I haven't filed the bug yet. But, to release the
speakers so other programs can use them, you give up the console as an
extension. To do this, put these lines in the /etc/asterisk/modules.conf
file:

noload => chan_alsa.so
noload => chan_oss.so

good luck...!