[Asterisk-Users] Streaming Audio - Music On Hold Feature

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Thu Jan 6 10:36:25 MST 2005

Dan Adams wrote:
> I was wondering, does anyone know if it is possible to have a stream of
> audio coming from a Microsoft compressed audio stream fed to the caller
> if they are placed on hold and if so how might this be done?

Write a shell script called mpg123, located in /usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin that spits audio out on it's STDOUT in the correct
format.  I think the format is 8khz, mono, 16-bit.  You can set up music
on hold with mpg123 the just do a px -axwww to see what parameters
Asterisk uses to start mog123, read the mpg123 man page and then make
your script output the audio in the same format.  Or you can just look
at the Asterisk source code for the options.

It's not hard to write the script.  It's hard to make the script do the
right thing when you have network problems and get disconnected from
your streaming source.