[Asterisk-Users] Glophone/Voiceglo and Asterisk

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Thu Jan 6 08:35:50 MST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, John Voss wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get Asterisk to work with Glophone/Voiceglo since this posting.
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-February/036559.html
>
> I've tried copying the config in this listing with no success.
>
> One thing that I have noticed is that all the listings that I have found mention the use
> of 10 digit numbers. They now give you 14 digit numbers  which shouldn't matter. However,
> it does make me wonder if anything else has changed.
>
> Any help anyone can supply will be greatly appreciated.

14 digit numbers..? I could imagine 13, with 011 prepended to the
numbers.. hmm.

The config in the post you reference looks similar to the one that I used,
which is (approximately):
[voiceglo]
type=peer
username=801203xxxx
secret=NEERHFDxxxx
;nat=yes
host=myphone.voiceglo.com
disallow=all
;disallow=g729
allow=ulaw
;allow=alaw
;allow=gsm
;allow=g729
canreinvite=no
;qualify=400
restrictid=no
fromdomain=myphone.voiceglo.com
dtmfmode=inband

I did have it working at one point, however, I didn't (still don't) have
the g729 codec for my asterisk. I could only place calls through Voiceglo
by using their bundled SJ Labs software (which did include g729) and
setting it to register through my *. This way * never needed to listen to
the RTP stream anyway and could just pass it through. At the time, g729
was the only codec you could use. And they also used inband DTMF -- a very
bad combination.

I cancelled my service after they failed to correct (or even recognize) a
significant problem: the DID they assigned me was provisioned incorrectly
(routing config problem, evidently) and could not be reached from at least
one local (to me) ILEC exchange. In fact, they didn't even recognize my
(repeated) requests to cancel the account. Funny thing was, when I asked
my credit card company to chargeback Voiceglo, I got a call within just a
few days from a Voiceglo rep, who acted surprised to have received a
chargeback and wanted to know why I hadn't contacted them first to see if
we couldn't resolve any problems. I nearly hung up on her.

Maybe they've done some hiring and firing since then and run a better shop
now. This stuff is all I know about them, and it's nearly a year out of
date. Anyway, if there is anybody else who can provide service in the area
you need, I think I might recommend going that route instead.

Greg