[Asterisk-Users] fax to email

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Thu Jan 6 06:13:16 MST 2005

Altus Snyman wrote:
> and email-fax??
> The other way around

You can run a simple mail server on the * box to accept emails addressed
to the .fax domain (i.e. "mike at 3036742575.fax").  This presumes you are
able to forward the .fax domain from your main mail server to the * box.
  Once you have the email at the * box, it is a simple matter to convert
the .ps or .pdf attachment to .tiff and send it to the fax machine.
This method requires that the user convert the document to .ps or .pdf
before attaching it to the email.

The second method is print-to-fax.  This requires the configuration of a
Samba "printer" on the * box.  Using the print function in MS Office
(Word, Excel, etc.) client, the user would print a document to the
"printer".  At the Samba interface, the .ps document would be captured,
converted to .tiff, and sent.  This method requires that the user embed
the cover sheet, including the fax number into the document.

The third method is to give your users a Windows printer plug-in that
would send the cover sheet information along with the document (I'm
working on this as we speak).  This plug-in allows the user to send an
address book entry along with the document, and the address book
information is then used to compose the cover sheet.

Cheers,

--
Michael Welter
Introspect Telephony Corp.