[Asterisk-Users] TDM04B vs Dell

Wed Jan 5 19:22:29 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:53 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > The symptoms of the problem were as follows:
> >
> > 1. issue "modprobe zaptel" which immediately returns with no feedback

Right, there isn't any output from loading this module.

> > 2. issue "modprobe wcfxo" which returns
> > 	init_module: No such device
> > 	Hint: isnmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> > including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Correct, you don't have any cards that need this driver, so it error'ed
and refused to load - good.

> > 3. issue "modprobe wcfxs" which immediately returns with no feedback, however
> > the four lights on the card go on and then the machine locks up completely,
> > requiring
> > a power cycle to get it running again. After the power cycle, if I look in
> > /var/log/messages
>
> If you have a tdm04b, that says you have four fxo ports. Why are you
> trying to load wcfxs?

No, ALL modules on the TDM card use the wcfxs module, or in CVS the
wctdm module (renamed because of the above mis-understanding).

> > I see a long cycle of the following messages before reboot:
> > 	kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
> > 	kernel: Do you have a strnage power saving mode enabled?
> > 	kernel: Uhhuh, NMI received for unknown reason 20 on CPU 0

So, this is the problem

> > 4. if I cat /proc/interrupts, I don't see any entry for a wcfxo module.

Again, you shouldn't because the module never loaded because you don't
have a X101P card installed.

> > In any case, I did follow the setup instructions on the Digium site (make
> > install in /usr/src/zaptel, edit /etc/zaptel.conf, edit
> > /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, etc.)
> > and we currently have a X100P wcfxo card in another machine running well
> > so we've already had experience getting a card working.
> >
> > If anyone has insight into what might be wrong, please do let me know.
> > Ultimately, if I trust the Digium support information, then this card will
> > never work, so I'd be grateful to hear about any other PCI card that provides
> > four or so wcfxo interfaces that might work with the PowerEdge.

Well, IMHO, there are two option, blame digium for producing a card that
doesn't meet the PCI spec, or blame Dell for producing a motherboard
that doesn't meet the PCI spec (or whatever is the spec that is causing
this problem). If it is Dell, then harass them to either give you a
different server, or just return it and purchase a different server from
someone else, or harass dell to fix the problem (if it is BIOS software
then it should be easier)...

This same conversation applies to the recent thread about some HP/Compaq
server models. We need to determine who is 'at fault' not so we can
point the finger etc, but so we know either to avoid Dell model xxx or
Compaq yyy, or, that digium have got it wrong, and maybe they can
provide some sort of new hardware version which fixes it, or a software
workaround, or something.

Just my 0.02c worth.

PS, either way, all of this should be resolved as much as possible with
digium directly, not on this list. Also, regardless of how good/bad your
experience in dealing with digium support, consider that it isn't going
to help your case by bad mouthing them on the list, nor is it really
pertinent to your problem. So just skip it. Currently, you might say
they have an excuse due to their recent holidays, plus probably some
sort of backlog due to holidays. However, Digium should probably take
note of these comments and try to do something about this. Also, like
any other company, if you are not satisfied with the level of customer
service, then write a letter of complaint to the *relevant* person. Not
this list.

There, that's 0.04c worth now.

Regards,
Adam