[Asterisk-Users] Happy Wednesday Morning SMS question, slightly OT

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Wed Jan 5 08:23:01 MST 2005

We all mostly know that * as well as various SIP phones support SMS.
While the final setup is somewhat of a mystery, there are reports of
those lucky souls who have it working.  We also know that in order to
send an SMS to a mobile phone, we need to connect to some SMS message
center and get the word out that way.

Now, here's the new (?) element:  How can I *accept* messages on my
voip-based US landline?  I know that if I send an SMS from my T-Mobile
phone to a friend's Verizon phone, the message goes through, so
somewhere there must exist a national message center that knows which
carrier to hand the message off to.  Technically it should be possible
to register a phone number with them to receive messages sent from
cell-phones or from other * systems, and then to receive these messages
through * and onto a SMS capable IP phone...?

Who knows more about this?