[Asterisk-Users] Can't initiate a call with X-Lite.

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jan 5 04:09:09 MST 2005

> 	I'm trying to place a call to asterisk using X-Lite. Asterisk is  setup
> with some Grandstream phones. I can call from one grandstream extension
> to another. When I try to an extension with X-Lite, it comes back with
> Status of SIP/2.0 404 Not Found. X-Lite is not registered as asterisk
> extension. It is just sending a sip invite to extension at IP. Does the
> X-Lite need to connect to via a proxy?

No. You should work on configuring xlite to "register" with asterisk.
In the xlite Sip Proxy menu, you will need a "User Name", "Password",
"Sip Proxy", and "Domain/Realm" defined to match entries in your
sip.conf definitions.

Your sip.conf for xlite should look something like:
[3005]
type=friend
host=dynamic
username=3005
secret=yourpassword
context=from-sip
canreinvite=no
mailbox=3005

> After several days of reading RFCs and looking at packet traces, I know
> a bit more about SIP, but not quite enough to make this work.
>
> Is there a way to get asterisk to say what its doing? I tried
> -vvvvvvvvvv etc, but the only messages are see are when I use one of my
> my Grandstream phones. On the wire, is see the same "To:"  header from
> both the grandstream and the X-Lite soft phone. I don't understand why
> its "found" by one, and not the other.

>From your asterisk CLI, try "sip debug" to see the flow of packets to/from
asterisk; "sip no debug" will shut it off.