[Asterisk-Users] Booting * from CF

bladerunner bladerunner81 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 4 07:13:00 MST 2005

i work myself on developing such an "embedded" asterisk. there is no major
problem, as long as you are careful when stripping out the "underwood" of the
core system.

my system boots of flash, loads /etc & /var into ramdisk, so minimal write
cycles are wasted for configuration changes & voicemail etc. this data is
wrote back only on user demand, voicemail is set up to mail the sound files
immediately (and there is a nice cron job for deleting and renaming the
soundfiles after 5 or so days... i think i found the bash-script somewhere on
voip-info.org). of course, in case of power failure you've got some problems,
when those precious voicemails are gone...

system based on gentoo linux, stripped out whole docs, gcc, kernel sources,
unused programs & libs. setup on 256 MB flashdisk, but would advice to use a
512 card. sys running on a p4 at this time, will be migrated to some via eden
- microboard without hd & fan.

kind regards,

michael