[Asterisk-Users] Echo problem - (sorry if this is an nmf question)

Brian Howard drivah at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 3 23:32:09 MST 2005

I recently installed * on my firewall and that of a relative some miles
away.  I route sipphone
(kphone and x-lite) calls from deep within the backbone (two layers of
firewall) on each end to the other.  Works fine between @200Mhz pentium
doorstop linux boxes (even w/2.4 kernel).The problem of course is the
output of the speaker at the other end is picked up by the microphone
(confirmed by switching to headset eliminating echo on opposite end).
Before I dig into doc of x-lite/kphone I thought I would try asking here
for a solution other
than simple using headset at each end.  (would like to have the speakers
"ring" to let
folk know there is inbound calls so they can hear when they are not at
the computer)

(and yes, the next step is of course to actually buy some hardware so
that all the house
phones can make voip calls in addition to pots which eliminates this
problem, but that
is probably not in this quarter's budget.)