[Asterisk-Users] Qs about FXO/FXS cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 3 21:51:36 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 20:14 -0600, brian at txshirts.com wrote:
> Gosh, you sure are full of yourself.

Looks like you didn't get enough caffeine into your body before
responding. Ohh well....

> You just shouldn't ASSume that everyone knows all of the abbreviations
> and when they ask you needn't be rude.  Being condescending is the first
> sign that a consultant is shallow and not worth using.  A *good*
> consultant will take the time to explain things and will never bash the
> situation that a customer or potential customer is in.

Boy am I glad I am not a consultant and I don't have to deal with them
very often. And I hope you understand that if all the effort you can put
forth is to ask questions with no research behind the question, you
won't make it very far yourself.

> Hardware and technology never become obsolete, they simply become
> outgrown.  A customer's given choice in technology is typically made
> based on the best available balance of money, commitment, and need.
> Making high handed and unqualified statements is a waste of your time
> and mine.  T-1's are rather unpleasant to move and for most small
> businesses are completely unnecessary, in my opinion.

Funny. Obsolete is when the majority of people determine it would be
better to be impaled by a red hot poker than use the technology. Well
actually I think the thresh hold is quite a bit lower. How many serious
companies are still using PDP's in production? Know of any one still
seriously using 8088's on the desktop?

T1's aren't anymore painful to move than several analog lines. Add to
that that you don't need a T1 to use T1 interfaces as I'll point out
below.

> While you may have the money to burn by having a t-1 at home, most small
> business owners would rather use what is necessary as opposed to what is
> extravegant.  And as you so nicely put in your other post, customers who
> come off the dime are a joy to work with.  And I suspect most of them
> wouldn't tinker with * they would go straight to Cisco or Nortel, or a
> "brand" name that works turn key.

Maybe you should read and fully comprehend before starting replies. It
is very helpful to do inline posting so you can see what it is your
responding to. It is possible you might have figured out how much you
missed if it was closer to what you where writing. Specifically I stated
that at home I had a T1 card and a channel bank. There was never a
mention of a T1 circuit. To finish connecting the dots for you, I did
VoIP to the office and had 24 extension capability and about 17 actual
extensions on my system at home.