[Asterisk-Users] realtime audio for asterisk using jack

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Mon Jan 3 18:01:41 MST 2005

Esben Stien wrote:
> Matt Riddell <matt.riddell at sineapps.com> writes:
>

>>>Any plans for asterisk to support jack for realtime audio?,
>>
>>So that you can have a phone on the console of Asterisk?
>
> Yes.

And what difference is 30ms going to make?  Bearing in mind that reverb
mixes with original sound (to our ears) if the predelay is less than
about 30ms...

:-)

BTW: I'm ZX81 - we talked yesterday on IRC until you mentioned the audio
software you're using under LINUX (I quickly ran off to check them out).

Also, if you're comparing it to one of the iaxclient phones then you
have to remember that under Windows they use 400ms delay - although DIAX
has just made this configurable - I have mine set to 60ms.

So, the gist of what I'm saying is that on a local call (I.E. PSTN) the
delay (say 50ms) would be totally unnoticeable and would probably be
more apparent as side tone.

On a VOIP call (say 300ms) the 50ms is really not going to make that
much difference.

I think the reason you want it is because you feel that chan_oss and
chan_alsa are creating a half second delay.  I don't see that here.  Is
it possible that JACK creates an emulated alsa/oss layer for non JACK
connections?

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell