[Asterisk-Users] SIP Jitter buffer(control?)

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Jan 3 15:40:56 MST 2005

Matt Schulte wrote:

>I'm assuming asterisk does not have a SIP jitter buffer in place? Any
>ideas on how to help with this going over a data T1 where VoIP is shared
>with regular traffic? Problem is when people are downloading the voice
>is jittery, even lossy.

Where do the calls go?

If it goes <sip> <*> <VoIP> <endpoint>, the timestamps from the other
VoIP leg get bridged through, and you shouldn't need a jitterbuffer for
SIP. If your calls go to zap, the local audio device, or a meetme
conference, though, you don't have many options other than trying to
clean up your network..

However, I have a generic jitterbuffer implementation that's about ready
now to be integrated into asterisk, to replace the present IAX2
jitterbuffer, and be used also for RTP media streams.. It's presently
being used in iaxclient. So, no timeline, but it's coming..

-SteveK