[Asterisk-Users] echo test application delay using the asterisk cli

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Mon Jan 3 13:58:13 MST 2005

I'm trying to figure out why I get delay using the echo test
application. I'm using the asterisk cli so I got no external factors
that could interfere. I'm getting close to half a second delay
speaking into the microphone and hearing it out through my speakers.

I'm doing lots of audio work (sequencing and recording) so asterisk is
definitely the problem. Of course, only thing running is asterisk and
nothing special is using the cpu or any subsystems of the kernel, in
case you ask.

I'm using GNU/linux-2.6.10 on a p3-600 with emu10k1 spu (creative
soundblaster live), now using asterisk cvs from only a week old. I've
tried the distributions and many many cvs checkouts, but I'm getting
no further. The source for app_echo.c is only 30 lines long and does
nothing except writing out what it reads in. Mark Spencer, I'm
lost. Where does the latency stem from?.

Asking this on the asterisk irc channel gets me nowhere. I've tried
many many times formulating it different ways, but few seems to
understand I'm only using the interactive shell mode of asterisk
dialing the echo application on the same server.

Esben Stien is b0ef at esben-stien.name
http://www.esben-stien.name
irc://irc.esben-stien.name/%23contact
[sip|iax]:b0ef at esben-stien.name