[Asterisk-Users] Qs about FXO/FXS cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 3 13:59:23 MST 2005

You may need more coffee before responding to another message.

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 14:21 -0600, brian at txshirts.com wrote:
> Steven,
>   If we grant that you are correct and that Digium and friends are
> making hobbyist products..... Then what are the "serious" installs
> using?  We're serious to the tune of 5 FXO ports and 3 FXS ports and I
> want to make sure we don't waste time on flaky hardware.  I figured that
> as Digium built the hardware and wrote the original code they probably
> know it better then anyone else.  You just seem to know a lot about the
> serious installs so I'm curious what you use and how many lines you run
> with it.

Digium makes T1 and E1 interfaces. Take a moment and read what I have
quoted below and you will see I said serious installs would be using
these T1 and E1 interfaces.

If you truely wanted to know what I use and how much I have installed,
you only need look at the archives. The company I work for has a T1
fully deployed right now and are expecting a second one any week now. We
have extra capacity in hardware reserved for a customer of ours who has
expressed interest in upgrading soon and needs more lines.

I used to even have a T1 card and channel bank to run my home system
till I grew bored of it and decided it was better to spend my time doing
other things than managing the phones at home. Currently that system
minus the server is with VCCH.com and they use it occasionally for
demonstrations.

> Btw, we are a textbook "small office" install according to the docs.

And barely over the home use of a truely geeky person. I think you
actually qualify as sub-"small office".

> Also what the heck is FC?

Fedora Core, Join that to the obvious question you will ask later, RH ==
Red Hat. Don't forget how to use google to look things up now.

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 14:07 -0600 Steven Critchfield wrote