[Asterisk-Users] Qs about FXO/FXS cards

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jan 3 13:25:29 MST 2005

On January 3, 2005 03:07 pm, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> And we come full circle to a comment I made before that TDM cards are
> more for hobbyist than for real serious installs. A real install is
> probably going to use a T1/E1 interface and bypasses all the troubles
> listed in this thread.

Unfortunately that makes Asterisk installs for small businesses more expensive
than necessary.  At US$500 for a T100P and US$300ish for a channel bank (FXS
only, FXO is significantly more expensive!) plus your time and system for an
Asterisk install it raises the bar for the small business to adopt Asterisk.
The TDM400P would fit a very nice little niche if it worked reliably.

Let's face it -- most businesses are looking at VOIP to reduce their telephone
bills and if the time it takes for the install to pay for itself is raised
significantly (like an added $1000 price tag for reliable equipment)...
well... the writing on the wall is pretty clear.

-A.