[Asterisk-Users] Qs about FXO/FXS cards

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Jan 2 21:13:45 MST 2005

Truman Beal wrote:
> One thing to look at is the proximedy to the powersupply of
> your audio
> devices.  Some mobos have their chipset integrated in very closely to
> their power supply pins.  With an unclean power source the fluxuations
> would be enough to add some of the white noise which would
> give you the
> whine.  Excellent examples of that are on the really small
> all in ones.
> Sometimes power source it self may be in quesiton, and a
> cheap ups with
> nothing else on it would probably solve that one quickly.

I have to warn people about cheap UPS units. They have to be a
*POWER-CONDITIONED* UPS to gain the power quality benefits. Many
*cheap*UPS*units*do*not*clean*up*the*power!* Some even make it worse. If
it doesn't say "power conditioned", it isn't; it's nothing more than a
battery back up (you will not like what these cheap UPS units do to your
input power when running on batteries).

For eample, APC Smart-UPS models provide power conditioning. ABC
Back-UPS do NOT. Run a Back-UPS on battery only and check out the
harmonics on the output - ouch! It's AC, but it is NOT a sine wave -
it's a square (some of them deliver a "stepped square" or
"pseudo-sinusoidal" waveform). Not clean at all.

Just remember that power conditioners and UPSs are not the same thing.
You can buy stand-alone power conditioners (PowerVar and OneAC make
these), stand-alone UPSs (many cheaper UPS units are this type), or UPSs
with built in power conditioners (PowerVar, OneAC, and APC).

Know what kind of UPS you are buying.

If you see them trying to tell you something about any kind of
"protection", without actually saying the magic words "power
conditioned", you cannot be sure that your UPS is giving you clean
power.

> Addionally,
> you may want to see if your power supply offers any sort of shielding.
> Mylar can offer a small amount of shielding, but some power supplys
> won't cool effectively, and the results of that are similar to
> fireworks- (see tom's hardware guide to power supplies)-

Spend the extra money and get PC Power & Cooling (no, they don't pay me,
they are simply the best - no contest).

> Alternatively, you find some cases offer no shielding to the outside
> with their plastic constructs.  A good quality case may be in
> order, and
> if you are racked, you may want to make sure one of the other machines
> in the rack may not be grounding out onto the rack, thus causing
> additional headaches.

Noise could be getting in from all over, eh?

> For my setup, I'm not using the onboard stuff in favor of an old sb
> live.

What's the SB live for? Console?

> I't moved of to a slot farily away from the digium board , and
> too close for my comfort to the networking cards.  I gain fairly good
> quality, and not enough white noise for me to really pick it
> up.  In my
> house, there are a few spots where power isn't the cleanest, so I'm
> certain that I'm getting at least some noise, despite every
> machine is
> fed from their own ups :)

[here he goes again . . .] Are they power-conditioned UPSs?