[Asterisk-Users] Codec Selection in Asterisk

Mark Phillips kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Sun Jan 2 14:32:59 MST 2005

The order does matter.

You want to offer ulaw, alaw and g729. I want to offer g726, g729 and
gsm.

In the order you have them listed in your stanza you offer them to me.
In the order I have them in mine I offer them to you. In this case only
g729 matches our lists and so we choose g729 for the call.

If your list was ulaw, alaw and g729 and mine was gsm, g729 and ulaw and
you had originated the call we would choose ulaw as that was your
highest matching preference.

Hope this make sense?

Mark

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 15:55, Adi Linden wrote:
> I am wondering how Asterisk selects codecs between devices. For example,
> in my sip.conf I have:
>
> disallow=all
> allow=ulaw
> allow=alaw
> allow=g729
>
> Does the order matter? Does it mean it will try each codec in succession
> and use the first that both endpoints support?
>
> Thanks,
> Adi

Mark Phillips, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ