[Asterisk-Users] Booting * from CF

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sun Jan 2 12:48:15 MST 2005

Michael Graves wrote:
> Yeah, I'm familiar with this. I even own a Soekris box for my firewall.
> However, I need something with more CPU power and the ability to take a
> TDM400 card. So I'm really trying to make the plain vanilla PC that I
> presently use into something that's more robust. I'd like to eliminate
> the HD and make certain that it reboots quickly into a fully running *
> server.
>
> I see that the Xorcom Rapid ISO sets up the core of what I need. Then I
> just have to tweak the installation for my * config. It says that it
> requires 600 MB of HD space. With 1 GB CF cards under $100 I'm thinking
> that this is a route I could pursue. I don't need much VM storage so
> the lack of a HD is no problem.
>
> Michael

Micheal,

	There is nothing special in AstLinux (other than the kernel) for the NS
SC1100 (Soekris Net4801).  More than anything, it is built to run from
CF.  As a matter of fact, I have it running on a P3 1.2ghz with a IDE ->
CF adapter.  All you will need to do is build a new kernel that supports
whatever hardware you have.

	As a side note, you may want to wait a few days because I am working on
the next major release, and the core is down to 55mb.  It will use ipkg
for any additional software that was stripped from the current AstLinux
to get to that size.  This of course includes Asterisk 1.0.3, Zaptel,
(and everything else listed on the site).

--
Kristian Kielhofner