[Asterisk-Users] Booting * from CF

Michael 'Moose' Dinn dinn at blend.twistedpair.ca
Sun Jan 2 12:02:46 MST 2005

You should be able to boot a full system from a 32M card without a problem.

> >I've read J.R. Richardson's paper "Create an Embedded Asterisk Server"
> >which outlines making a Debian server that boots from a compressed disc
> >image on a CF card. I'm really interested in this as I want my * server
> >to be more like an appliance than a PC. However, the paper is only an
> >outline and some of the processes of pruning the installation down to a
> >minimum are beyond my Linux skills.
> >
> >That being the case, and CF cards being bigger and cheaper every month,
> >does anyone have an experience building a server that simply boots from
> >a 512 MB or 1 GB CF card? Is that big enough?

256M is probably the cheapest card to get in terms of megs required to dollar
ratio at the moment, with 1G cards getting cheaper by the day...

Locally wal-mart has Lexar 32M CF cards for $18 Canadian. They make great
routers. :)