[Asterisk-Users] Qs about FXO/FXS cards

Victor Rini victor-rini at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 11:04:29 MST 2005

This has been an interesting discussion. I'll chime in with my
experience here.

I have two servers. One with the cheapest motherboard and athlon
processor I could find on Newegg.com. The other is a 1999 era
motherboard with a Via C3 processor, again a bargain basement special.
The Athlon system has a decent power supply - 400+ watt, the Via has a
very generic PS that came with the case - 300 watt tops.

On both system I have TDM cards, the Athlon has a 4 port FXS and two
x100p's, the Via has a 2 port FXS.

Both systems are in "production" if you could call it that because they
handle little traffic - home/hobby systems.

I have had no problems at all with the tdm cards or Asterisk. I
occassionally lose my network on the Athlon machine - I chalk that up to
the fact that I'm currently sharing an IRQ with two ethernet cards and
an X100P.

I'm thinking of ditching the two x100p's in my Athlon machine for a TDM
card with FXO modules to free up a slot and hopefully the burdened IRQ.
Based on what I'm reading here I probably should think *really hard*
about that.