[Asterisk-Users] sip reload - Hang

Scott Gruby subscribelists at gruby.com
Sat Jan 1 13:50:53 MST 2005

I just setup an Asterisk system on a small Shuttle box; I am only using
SIP channels and have no FXO/FXS cards. The system works fine in that I
can call my inbound number (Broadvoice) and have the system answer and
I can make outgoing calls. The problem is that every time I want to
change something in the sip.conf file, I have to do a 'restart now'
instead of a 'reload' or 'sip reload' as it hangs and stops processing
calls or responding on the CLI. I tracked this down to something
dealing with the peers I have in sip.conf. However, I removed all peers
and just placed a simple friend in sip.conf (right from the sample
file):

[xlite1]
;Turn off silence suppression in X-Lite ("Transmit Silence"=YES)!
;Note that Xlite sends NAT keep-alive packets, so qualify=yes is not
needed
type=friend
regexten=1234                 ; When they register, create extension
1234
username=xlite1
callerid="Jane Smith" <5678>
host=dynamic
nat=yes                       ; X-Lite is behind a NAT router
canreinvite=no                ; Typically set to NO if behind NAT
disallow=all
allow=gsm                     ; GSM consumes far less bandwidth than
ulaw
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw

 From the Asterisk CLI, I do:

sip show peers

It shows the one peer

and then sip reload

and then

sip show peers

and it is blank with the system being hung.

I've searched high and low for a solution, reinstalled Linux (Fedora
Core 3), reinstalled Asterisk (I enabled the ztdummy module), and have
used the sample config with the same results (for the sample, I just
uncomment the above). Since I used the sample without modifications,
the fact that I'm using it behind NAT shouldn't make a difference.

Any ideas on what is causing this? Is there any additional information
I can provide for assistance?

Thanks.

--
Scott Gruby