[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Sat Jan 1 12:15:45 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

> The only issue I have with that is there are several people with digium
> T1 and TDM cards in their systems, and its always the TDM that goes out
> to lunch; not the T1. No doubt there are less then desirable mobos
> around (and probably lots of them), but that doesn't explain why stability
> of the TDM's very different from a T100P (both with Intel 537 chips).

You know, this is sort of a crazy guess, but I think the power on the
telephone line has a lot to do with the flakiness of these cards.

I've seen something with the X101P that lead me to think so: I have two
cards and two lines. I also own a small UPS that happend to have a jack
for a phone line, to act as a "power cleaner" and I've put the line that
goes to one of these cards there.

Now, in two different occasions, during a power out the UPS signaled the
server which shutdown gracefully and when the power was back on , the
card whose line went through the UPS was in a "Red Alert" state.

Only taking out the line from the UPS and putting it directly into the
telco socket a couple of time cleared this alaram (no, even rebooting
did not help).

After these two inceidents I simply kept the line directly to the socket
(like the second card) and we had several power outages since (don't
ask) and this did not happen.

So my guess is - what makes the FXO/FXS more sensative then the PRI
cards is the power on the line. Or not. Did I mention it's crazy guess? :-)

Gilad