[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Sat Jan 1 10:33:20 MST 2005

> > I'm not seeing these problem with X101P, nor does any of my (not so
> > many) clients. And all that's boils down to is that: a. I'm lucky and b.
> > I've have helped my luck by using only one card per machine, choosing a
> > good MB and making sure the card don't share IRQ with anything.
> >
> > But the point still remains - any software or hardware that needs to be
> > rebooted every 3 days to work is broken and should not be used. Period.
> >
> > If you use such software or hardware you should find out what's wrong
> > and fix it or switch to something else.
>
> I think you've really nailed it on the head with the above statement.
> The problem is that everyone keeps harping on shared interrupts, repeating
> statements that others have made, etc, but no one is actually making any
> attempt to identify the root problem. And, primarily because this seems
> to be a very technical issue with digium cards only, where the majority
> of developers and those with the skills necessary to identify the root
> cause don't use digium cards.
>
> These systems (motherboards and all) don't have a problem with 99.9% of
> other vendor's cards and drivers, but yet the * resolution constantly
> boils
> down to things like swapping motherboards instead of identifying what the
> issue really is in terms of certain digium cards.

I have never once had an issue with a card from Digium.  The real issue is
some people seem to think it's OK to use a 20 dollar motherboard and shove a
T1 card in the thing and expect it to play nice.  Come on guys I see this
all the time... Not all hardware is "good" hardware that plays nice with
other hardware.

bkw