[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream and VLANs

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Feb 28 14:38:32 MST 2005

I'd try as "The Tyrant" always suggests and make it as simple as possible
i.e.

-Isolate the phone to a seperate switch that supports VLAN
-Plug in a PC to the same switch
-Turn OFF VLAN-ing on the switch, PC & phone
-Assign a static IP to the PC & phone
-Fire up Ethereal on the PC, start recording, ping the phone.
-Examine the output. You should get something.
-VLAN the two ports from the switch, assuming it's managed. Ping the phone
again, and examine the output. Again, you should see something
-VLAN the PC to the same VLAN as the switch. Make sure you change the
Ethereal capture to the VLAN interface on the PC. Ping the phone. You should
get nothing from the phone.
-VLAN the phone and ping it. You should get something.

Somewhere along the way, you should get enough information to make a
deduction about what the GS is doing. It wouldn't suprise me if GS's VLANing
is poopoo; everything about these phones seems to be "sacrifice quality at
all cost". My users hate them. HTH.